Keto Diet. How To Start?
Suppose you have learned the basics of keto diet and eager to start a path to a better version of yourself. However, the transition to a new type of eating requires serious preparation. It will help you quickly change your habits, as well as help you to “stay on the track”. Here are a few recommendations that I can give based on my personal experience:
- The first thing you need to do is… No, not rush to the nearest supermarket for food. First, you need to gather your family or those you live with under the same roof and tell them about your decision to go on a low carb diet and explain why it is important for you. Tell them about the keto and about the products that you can and cannot eat when following this kind of diet. Attach a list of such products to your fridge. Discuss how your family can support you and help you abstain from eating something that’s not allowed. If you are the person who cooks for the whole family, check out my post where I describe how I adapted the keto diet for my family.
- Before going on a new diet, especially if you have diabetes or a chronic disease, it is recommended that you see your doctor and ask for their advice after making all necessary tests. You should understand that not all doctors approve keto diet. There is a chance that they will try to talk you out of it. I was lucky since my endocrinologist turned out to be a very advanced specialist when it comes to the latest studies and health practices. She was eager to support me, while asking me to be careful and closely monitor my process.
- Revise the refrigerator and kitchen cabinets. If possible, get rid of banned on keto diet products. Give them to friends or those in need. So you will be easier to resist the temptations.
- Check relevant cookbooks or look up some low carb recipes on the Internet. Find several simple breakfast and dinner options for yourself. Plan a menu for the week. Based on the menu, make a list of the products you need to buy, and you are ready to go for groceries.
- While shopping, check the product nutrition labels. The main information you should pay attention to is the total amount of carbohydrates. It’s also important to note the quality and quantity of fats. Make sure to avoid trans fats and hidden sugars. Be careful when buying ready-made sauces and marinades, pickled products, mustard, almond milk, and yogurts. They can contain a lot of sugar.
- It is advisable to buy a device for measuring blood glucose and ketone levels, if you don’t have one yet. Constant monitoring will help you track your progress and adjust your diet when necessary.
- Download an app for counting macros (carbs, proteins, and fats). This is a must have tool when following a keto diet. I like MyNetDiary, Cronometr or CarbManager.
- Start a diary to record everything you eat and drink, what sports you do and for how long, the amount of sleep, how you feel, etc. In a little while, I will explain why it is important.
This is it, I guess. Now you are ready to start! For sure, you will encounter some difficulties like everyone who changes their diet or lifestyle, but this is something I’ll discuss in another article. Good luck!
Great content! Super high-quality! Keep it up! 🙂
Спасибо ща информация, кратко и понятно))